All your paediatric questions answered
All the information in this section has been provided by:
Dr Sanjay J Rao [Consultant Paediatrician]
Child Care Clinic
2013 100Ft Rd Indiranagar Bangalore 560008 Tel: 91 80 5767 8757/2526 7085
BREASTFEEDING IN PUBLIC –HELPFUL HINTS
By Dr. Sanjay Rao
· Wear clothing that allows easy access to your breasts with as little exposure as possible.
· Feed your baby half an hour before his scheduled time. Don’t wait until he is crying in hunger. Screaming babies attract attention.
· Try to face a wall or corner while feeding. You can also use a blanket, shawl or magazine to shield you from view.
· If people are passing by, look up and smile. This will draw attention away from your breasts.
· Look around if there are any garment stores. You can always request the staff to use the trial room.
· In departmental stores, malls or offices, tell the person in charge that you’re looking for a place to feed your baby. Most people will move mountains to accommodate you.
· Practice feeding your baby in front of a mirror. Once you realize that you’ve perfected feeding without exposure, you will be more comfortable in public.